Dumyat 2013

On Wednesday I ran Dumyat Hill Race. It was hard but totally awesome. The legend goes it was first run following a bet by a University lecturer (a Psychologist, trust them... ;-)), who bet that the return trip from the Sports Centre to the summit was impossible in less than an hour. It now doubles as the Scottish Student Sport (SSS) Hill Running Championship and loads of people run it in less than an hour so apparently that Psychologist was full of shi---... This was its 40th year. Its 5 miles and 1250’ of ascent distance.

This year the uni championship was won by Edinburgh folk (grrr, ha ha nah Edinburgh made up roundabout the top ten finishers so they absolutely deserve it).

This is le hill- the second peak at the back:

Its a tough, tough race. The first mile is actually really up and down along to the hill so then you're knackered when you hit sudden dramatic rise and almost everyone walks the uphill. The really good people walk only most of the uphill. Myself and my lovely friend K are not good, so we walked the dramatic uphill and then sprinted down after getting some water and Haribo off the men marshalling the turnaround at the top. They were v friendly. 

The Haribo in retrospect was a mistake- the taste of cola sweeties in your mouth during a sprint finish is not a good one.

This is the top- Nice view! We had to touch the metal... bucket... thing.

Overall we took 1hr 23mins to do 5 miles. Which on flat ground would be utterly ridiculous but for a hill race isn't THAT bad. Boy do my ankles hurt though- its a lot of impact.

One serious thought- A load of parents had their children spectating and I was thinking... Hill runners make really good role models.I mean, sure, they drink a fair bit... But hill running is tough and the runners are strong and capable. Its close to an equal gender field in participation and results actually tend to be closer than in flat races too. I think its really great for girls especially to see their mums exhibiting total badassery with mud in their faces and strong limbs. Something so typically 'ungirly' (I have a real problem with people who insist activities or interests are gendered). Don't get me wrong- I think all runners are inspiring and its great for kids to have a model of fitness but there's something extra focused on determination and a healthy, not thin, body in hill running.




8 Comments:

  1. I agree, I always think female hill runners look like such good role models for kids- always plastered in mud and working hard, but still looking strong and like they're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a brilliant race! I probably wouldn't have been able to resist the haribo myself either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bad decision but I cant make myself regret it :P #sorryimnotsorry

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Haha it was! I plan on getting a lot better at hill races- they are easy places to get better and work down places at :)

      Delete
  4. This race sounds AMAZING!! I hope there was a pub at the bottom though! It's practically the law to have a pie and a pint when you've been (almost) mountain climbing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh there were pints! No pies though... I should take it up with the organisers...

      Delete

 
Strava