Food is Fuel

And I chose bad fuel. Yesterday I had a run that really laid down how much what you put into your body matters. 

I went out for brunch with some friends and had amazing french toast with maple syrup and nutella and a latte and freshly squeezed OJ. Don't get me wrong, it was so tasty. I knew I wanted something ridiculous like that. 


I couldn't even pause long enough to take a photo before eating it. That's nutella not tomato sauce by the way! To me French Toast is always a sweet thing. 

But even though the food was really great and I had a really good time with my friends (did some bargain shopping too!), I felt terrible within half an hour of the food. I felt uncomfortably full, my heart was racing and my head was pounding. 

Then I was running later that afternoon with my friend S. I did try and get in some serious water to make sure I was hydrated but I still felt totally bleh. During the first 3 of the 4 miles my heart was pounding, my stomach was pretending it was being stabbed and I got breathless really fast.

Now, there's nothing wrong with having a blow out brunch once in a while. I do not have them often and I have no issues with eating some amazingly bad for you food with friends. I would argue its actually a life necessity for sanity. However this run really brought home to me that especially for running, but also for life in general, food is fuel. When I chose to eat then run I was trying to get my body to run on a sugar crash, hard to digest fats, carb (this one not an issue, carbs are generally a fuel source) and dairy. Those are not ideal fuel sources.

Better sources of fuel, that were available at this brunch spot, would have been...
  • Omelet, with veggies
  • A protein, veg and healthy fat (avocado) filled wrap
  • Porridge and fruit
I will make better choices next time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your go-to morning fuel?

Worse choice you've ever made for fuel?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Strava