Superteams 2014

For the yearly Health and Well-being week at the University of Glasgow, the sport and recreation services/GUSA hold a SUPERTEAMS competition. Its a mixed competition of Cardio, Power, Speed/Agility, Strength and Reaction Time challenges. These are the events involved (in bold are events I did):

CARDIO
2 min row: I did 475 in the time given. Passable! Self explanatory technique.
5 min cycle: A couple of our girls and a few of the guys were AMAZING at this. The best I think someone did was 6. something km.
Swimming (4x50): I need to get back to swimming, this was appalling.

I'm on the last rower, with my team captain encouraging me- great motivations guys! Photo from GUSA fb page

POWER
Wingate Test: Only supermen and superwomen did this, looked tough! Its a measure of peak power I think.
Vertical Jump Test: Surprisingly hard! I tried it as a squat jump. Its cool equipment though- works by calculating how long you're off the ground.

SPEED/AGILITY
505 Test: This is basically a sprint out and turn and back but all timed so the key is to turn fast.
T-Test: I didn't do this one but basically you run straight out, then to each side in a side step to form the tee then run backwards e.g. facing forward but running back.

STRENGTH
Tug of War: We were appalling at this and were eliminated from the tournament straight away. Then again some of the boys on other teams were bigger than like 3 of us combined.

REACTION
Catching test: Hahahaha there was no way I was up for this, my catch is terrible. Basically a tennis ball machine throws balls at you, you have to catch them and throw them in a bucket. You get 6 goes, most people only caught one or less. The only one of us who was good at this does cricket.

We competed as two 6-person teams; with 3 men and 3 women per team. To be honest I was pretty nervous, suspecting I'd be shredded by the end and concerned about my total lack of a gun show. By afterwards I was wishing I'd got to do more as it was great fun. We were all knackered from BUCS the day before (and we were last...) but it was still fun! I later chatted to sports and Rec staff, who suggested individual event prizes for next year. I think that's a great idea as it gives a chance to celebrate individuals who have specific talents.

Blurry team photo- ace free tee shirts though (technical fabric too!)

A side note (I seem to love making small notes about less nice things): during this competition there was one event which was clearly to the advantage of one particular team. To make a comparison it would have been as if one of the events was a 10K cross country for us. I was seriously unimpressed by one of the members of that team, as when it became expressedly obvious that they would win that event, they began larking about and making a mockery of the attempt. I appreciate they were having a laugh but its hugely unsporting. Yeap, you're good at it. Its your sport, you train in it all the time. Respect that the same criteria doesn't apply to others. 


2 Comments:

  1. That sounds brilliant fun!! Well done!! Love all the Superman tees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! They were so great- 5 quid entry and proper tech tees? SOLD.

      Delete

 
Strava