Glasgow Uni 5 Mile Road Race


Going into this race the only aim I had was sub-10 minute miles. This would put me in a position where I performed relatively similar to my previous outing on the course (2010). The week before my knee was a little odd feeling so in the run up to the race I focused on making this feel good and hoped the lessened running would help.


It felt good to put my new GUHH vest on for the first time to actually race; and good to be at a race again given that Braids didn't work out. Was also nice to see people I hadn't seen in a while. I finished this year in 48.25; my watch says 47.40 and it wasn't chipped so I'm tempted to go for the watch's interpretation which gives an average pace of 9.32. This is very slightly slower than 2010 but since that was pre-injury, and I was a ton lighter, I think I can handle that.

The course is a double loop of 2 and a bit miles then almost 3 on the second loop. First you take a short warm up jog from Garscube along the river to the start, which is a lot further around than you think. Unfortunately this warm up jog will later be part of your race and will take forever. Its a hard course, starts on uphill out of the park and into the streets, which feels so long the second time you complete the loop. There are also several sharper hills on route. You essentially spend the loop jumping in and out of the park and up and down the surrounding hilly terrain. There's a long downhill towards the end of the first loop/the end of the whole course on loop 2, which very much helps your times. The Nigel Barge 10K follows a very similar course there and describes it as a 'short sharp roller coaster of a race' - this is pretty accurate.


Unfortunately I have zero photos of me at this race (did I even race?! Oh the web of lies!). So, instead I will treat you to the course map and elevation profile.

4 Comments:

  1. Official running rules state: go with whichever timing methodology gives you the quickest time ! Well done, and I hope there was race bling?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zero race bling! Its a low budget race, only a fiver to answer, banana, caramel wafer and water as the finishers bag :)

      Delete
  2. Agree! Go with watch unless you were standing ON the line as the gun went off! Well done on a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Yeah I'm with my watch on this ;-)

      Delete

 
Strava