Urban Try - Lululemon x Stella Bartram x Route One

On Sunday I took part in an event I'd never heard of- an Urban Try organised by Lululemon. A what? Well, an urban try-athlon isn't the same as a true triathlon (and I'd never say it is anywhere near as hard) but it was really challenging. Its a trio of exercise events- in this case a bootcamp HIIT class at G5 Fitness with Stella Bartram; a spin class at Route One Spin; and then a 5 mile run along the Clydeside path.

When Katy gave me a heads up about the event I made the rash decision to email immediately, and secured myself a place in the full race. The day started bright and early at G5. I could tell just by looking at Stella that this was not going to be easy. Mainly because the lady has a body that will not quit... That is a lady that does not skimp on her workouts.

G5 Fitness
Motivational but simple words are painted on the walls
In the urban-cool, reformed-warehouse style gym (it used to be a railway arch, how cool is that?), we moved into a rounds workout. We did 45 seconds of each exercise then had 15s to change to the next station. We performed mountain climbers on glider feet pads; prowler pushes- pushing a trolley that was weighted up across the floor; wall balls; burpees (urgh, everyone hates Burpees); kettlebell swings; and a squat to press to axeman ball throw with an ending press up. The wall balls were so much harder than I expected, my legs just seemed to give no power and I was a little concerned about the two leg-centric events to come. We did 4 rounds of these exercises, for 24 minutes total exercise, with breaks in between. They also had a live DJ, which really upped the party atmosphere. Honestly, it was fun but not gutting... I suspect Stella went easy on us given what was to come.

En masse, we headed to the Route One Spin studio 1.2 miles away. Unfortunately the studio had suffered a power outage, so no electricity. No music. No screen showing the Californian coastline. Cry. Luckily, the staff just rolled with it; chucking Beyonce on some iPod speakers and yelling encouragement. We did sprint and hill intervals; ticking over in between these at 115. Spin was new to me but greatly enjoyable, especially the hills. It can also clearly be an intense workout- the studio was warm and there was sweat literally dripping from my nose!

I skipped off the bike and worried some more, as my legs felt empty and wooden. We headed to Victoria Bridge to start the run. Despite refueling with a Clif bar and Nuun infused water throughout the classes I really felt I had nothing left to give. In the end it was a hard and painful 5 miles. But the support was amazing (especially for a run with only 100 or so people in it). The Lululemon/Route One staff were so positive- holding brilliant signs in the tunnel at 1km/7km (out and back course). My favourites were, "we say ass, you say arse, either way move it" and, "Oh... You thought we said Rum?". There were also some Scottish minded signs, "Dinae hang aboot". Additionally one of them told me I had lovely hair (way to my heart = compliment my hair). I also finished to a big hug from Claire from Route One, who seems completely lovely. The run definitely had more of an all-in-it-together than a race feel, everyone was just aiming to finish and giving each other high fives and so on. its a shame the day was so crappy; as it can be a really beautiful place when the weather is nice.

Still beautiful, but very grey

Yes, yes I did. Damn.
I've always loved the Clydeside graffiti and this one is gorgeous

We jogged back to studio for food- the bit I was really looking forward to. It was well worth the wait. Juice Garden provided coconut water (no, thank you); strawberry smoothie (yes, thank you); amazing avocado wraps with tomato (had like three); beetroot wraps (didn't try these); raw natural caramel bites (they were dates, coconut cream and nuts); and coconut peanut energy balls. I ate a ton. Much of the food tasted suspiciously amazing for raw health food!

Hello lover.
The freebie vest

Here I also managed to meet Katy, who turned out to know a whole bunch of people at the event. She is one really cool woman. Especially as she was totally fine with me telling her she had a magic butt. I should probably add some context- their spin class was after mine and the electricity came back on the second her bum touched the spin bike seat! Magic, I tell you. For a free event, the goodies were amazing- we received a free vest, and a free yoga class with Laura McCrimmon (also seems lovely); and a voucher for a free Juice Garden coffee. Result!

Overall it was such a great event. It gave me a real taste for how hard proper triathlon must be; as the run was a complete exercise in mental strength. I can't imagine doing the same (or likely longer) if had swum and ridden miles on a bike beforehand! Triathletes, you guys are hard as nails. 

-------------

Have you ever done a multi class event?

Do you spin? Despite no screens, I really enjoyed it!

11 Comments:

  1. We have a similar one coming up in Edinburgh in July! Yoga class followed by a run to a spin studio then a spinning class, fingers crossed for electricity and music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha definitely! They made it fun even with those limitations. I think they are planning some fairly regular ones, which is great :)

      Delete
    2. This sounds awesome Tess - where about in Edinburgh is it?

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! The ones in London are usually Yoga, Spin and Run- having the bootcamp class first must have made it even tougher! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was tough but really good fun! Surely the yoga should be last? For a good wee stretch :)

      Delete
  3. Spin is without a doubt the most difficult class I take part in. Sure, things like metafit/crossfit/HIIT stuff get you tasting metal, but spin is a long, hard, sustained effort, if you do it right. I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super tough! The hill bits were great fun mind :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this sounds brill!! Glad you liked spin!! It's fun but tough!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just! I'm looking forward to doing a full class :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had great fun 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did, but MAN was I hurting the days afterwards!

      Delete

 
Strava