Focus in 2016

Image by @melanieburke; use allowed.
Last year, I wrote about my disdain for New Year's Resolutions. In short, they tend to be over-dramatic; based on self-hate and 'bikini bodies'. I decided it was better to suggest a list of things you should consider doing that were all positive additions to your life, not things that you ban yourself from doing. See also this great post from Mind Over Matter about why New Year's Resolutions aren't her type of thing.

An alternative approach to the new year that I do appreciate is from Liz Goodchild. In 2013 she chose a word to build her goals around; a word that could form of kind of core belief for the next year. Other bloggers like Goldilocks Running (see Believe, Try, Balance) have taken this approach on, and it seems to be a great way of anchoring your goals for a year.


I was recently given a great piece of advice, which swiftly became my word for this year: Act with focus. Focus. Essentially I was told that I can finish my PhD, and still run, and still climb, and still spend time with my loved ones if I just Focus. She told me that in any one moment I should give what I am doing everything- my full attention. That I have to resist thinking of the other stuff. When I am climbing I should be present at the wall and not thinking about how much work I should be doing. If I am at work, I can't be scrolling Instagram or wondering how my mum is. I can do it all if I can just Focus.

So that is my only official Resolution this year- to Focus. Whether that is on writing my thesis, or spending time with my partner, or climbing, or out on a run. I will try to Focus on the act and the feeling, and banish the distractions. This of course plays in to a few other goals- I have some big running dreams this year, I'd like to finish my PhD, and I'd love to advance a few more bouldering and roped grades. But I am not Resolving to do these things, I'm hoping (and confident) that they will happen as a side effect of my word.

Views from my New Year's travels



Just Focus.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a word for 2016? Or any resolutions?


Mid-drafting, I found out that Beki from Miss Wheezy also chose Focus as her word of 2016 (it's a good un'!). There are also great New Year's posts by bloggers such as FitBits (plus check out her beautiful new header) and this one by The Scientist Runs about NOT making resolutions.



6 Comments:

  1. For the past few years I've been choosing a word and I've found its guided me even when I've not been consciously thinking about it. Last year was Soar, this year it's Nourish, be that by food, reading or face creams, mind, body and soul. I also have projects more than resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nourish is a wonderful word of choice- means so many different things, whether that be personal time or nutrition.

      Delete
  2. I know it's too words but; "Keep Going" sums it up for me. 2015 was good. A lot of hard battles were almost won, and many scales tipped in my favour. Now I want to Keep Going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you fought back in 2015- you deserve some victories! Keep Going is a great one!

      Delete
  3. Great advice really I needed this!I started my second bachelor this September and I am struggling with work, university and blogging!You can do anything you want but you need to plan your time carefully and focus in what you do!
    http://www.2activelab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that is a lot to take care of! Good luck! :-)

      Delete

 
Strava