Marathon Playlist x Sudio VASA

Music massively motivates my running. Without it I can be sluggish, bored, and self-doubting. With it I have powered through, persevered, and had some fun. On Sunday's long run my training partner all but forced me to put my music in when I was struggling because she knows how much it improves my pace.

Sudio recently got in touch to ask if I'd be interested in trying their Vasa earphones. These high-quality Swedish creations are bass-rich, artistically designed, and intended to stay firmly in the ear during even vigorous movement. In short they are excellent for someone like me, someone who is interested in both fitness and aesthetics. Today I wanted to share my review of these headphones, along with my marathon playlist.



------------------------------------------------

My running playlist is fun, dancey, motivational and even a little arrogant in places. I'm not trying to be cool here, so you won't hear exclusive B-sides or bands I once saw play in someone's living room. You'll hear catchy, motivating, pop-y dance.

Firstly, during a marathon you need some ego-boosting tunes like Hailee Steinfeld: Love Myself, Labyrinth: Earthquake, Iggy Azalea: Team [Baby I got me; And that's all I need; Yeah that's all I need], Katy Perry & Juicy J: Dark Horse, or Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: Can't Hold Us to remember that you are an unspeakable badass to even be attempting this.

I combine these with sunshine songs like Rihanna & Calvin Harris: We Found Love, Florence and the Machine: Dog Days are Over [Run fast for your mother, fast for your father, Run for your children for your sisters and brothers], Muse: Starlight, and Avicii: The Nights. Quite a few of those songs are about living a life with intensity and dedication. In racing a marathon you are fullfilling that message.


Marathons are a challenge- if you want it you have to fight for it- so stick on Eminem ft Nate Dogg: Till' I Collapse [Till the roof comes off, Till my legs give out...I'ma rip this shit till my bones collapse], Kanye West: Stronger, and Fort Minor: Remember the Name [This is 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain; And 100% reason to remember the name]. We can go running from our demons with Florence and the Machine: Shake It Out.

In your darkest moments, when your mind retreats inside itself then there are a couple on the list just for the catchy beat- sexy saxophone hook in Destination Calabria (sampled from Rune: Calabria), Muse: Supermassive Black Hole, and lastly... gaining double points for relevance... Snoop Dogg vs. Guetta: Sweat.

------------------------------------------------

What about the earphones? I'm not an audiophile or tech expert but I feel they provide clean, sharp, and rich sound for both songs and podcasts. With basic sets of earphones I find that sound degrades at high volume*. This does not occur when using the Sudio Vasa. The Vasa come with multiple optional earpiece sizes for a close fit. When using my correct size I did not experience any issues with the earpieces coming out, even on the hilly West Highland Way. The earphone cable is really quite long, which is inconvenient when commuting but very convenient when I'm running with my iPod in a back zip pocket.

Sudio Vasa Earphones, Sudio Vasa Headphones


One thing that vastly improves their functionality for running is the 3-button remote at the right earpiece. The centre button does just about everything- 1 Push to play or pause, 2 Pushes to go forward a song, 3 Pushes to go backwards, 2 Pushes + Hold Push #2 to fastforward, 3 Pushes + Hold Push #3 to rewind. No more wrestling my iPod out of a sweaty pocket to change songs. With an iPhone then 1 Push + Hold opens Siri. A centre push also answers and hangs up phone calls, and the remote contains a mic so there is no need to remove the device from your pocket. Sudio earphones come in two variations for either Android or iOS operating systems.

Sudio Vasa Earphones, Sudio Vasa Headphones


I cannot discuss the Sudio Vasa without talking about their aesthetic. My personal style could be summed up as 'low-effort normcore'**- quality men's knits (usually stolen) paired with slinky vest tops, a slouchy hat, brogues, jeans, and delicate necklaces. Therefore I very much admire the clean Scandi style of the Sudio Vasa earphones. I love the rose gold details on the earbuds and the flat taped cables. Despite the rose gold, the Vasa in black are pretty androgynous. Even the packaging was beautifully ergonomic- the whole thing looks like a novella. The engraved leather carry case is also useful, preventing the cable from knotting and my iPod from becoming scratched in my pocket or a bag. I do wish the button on this was also rose gold-coloured, but this is a minor issue with an otherwise stunning aesthetic.



If you want to check out Sudio headphones for yourself, you can use the 15% discount code ScallywagSprint. I've really loved using these earphones for training and will use them in the race and long after that too.

------------------------------------------------

Which headphones do you use?

What is on your marathon or long run playlist?



Sudio sent these headphones to me in return for an honest review. No links are affiliate. I do not profit in any manner if you use the discount code. 

Post written by Scallywag and published on Scallywag Sprints on 20/04/16

* Yes, I likely listen to music too loud.
** Though I should disclose that someone recently called me a hipster... So read this review with that knowledge.

2 Comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Yurbuds for my runs as they don't fall out. I also have a pair of Jabra bluetooth earphones that I like in the gym so there are no cables in the way.

    I like a playlist of upbeat songs and songs that I find motivational in some way. My favourite is "On a Mission" by Gabriella Cilmi which powered me through my first ever marathon back in 2010 and still goes me a boost to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Yurbuds too! On A Mission is a great song, will be downloading that for sure :)

      Delete

 
Strava