MOVEmber

"Hey Mo Sisters
Support those Mo Mistas
With a running time, funning time
Mens health issues ain't fair, you know"1

There are some races I'm committed to because I want to excel. To exceed my own expectations or achieve a good time. There are some races I just want to do for the fun of it. Then there are some races I'm committed to because I care about the cause they promote.

My MOVEmber MoRunning buddy
Hopefully, the MoRunning 10km fits two of those briefs - MoRunning invited me to take part and I jumped at the chance because it's fun, and I care about the cause. MoRunning supports the work of the November Foundation, which has grown from an Australian organization raising money for prostate cancer charities, to an international charity which aims to attack all things that cause men to die too young. That means they tackle: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health and suicide prevention. As of 2015 they have raised £443 million and funded 1,200 men’s health projects.

As I have discussed before when I was raising money for CALM, my family knows only too well the importance of men's mental health. We lost someone we loved very much. Male suicide is a huge problem in the UK. Right now Movember's UK initiatives are working to make health services work for men. This is crucially important. Many men feel they cannot reach out to existing services when they feel they can no longer cope. I wish they felt they could. 

I was kindly given a place at the MoRunning 10km in Glasgow on November 13th, in return for a blog post reviewing the event. The event firmly invites you to get silly- fancy dress, fake mustaches for those of us that can't grow a real one, and high fives galore. Plus finishers get a really cool curved mustache-shaped medal. As the entry fee goes towards the event costs, I made a personal donation to the charity too (you can also do so here or when signing up to the race).


How can you get involved? 
Future races are taking place in Edinburgh and Bristol on Saturday 12th November; Battersea Park, Glasgow, and Cardiff on Sunday 13th November; Birmingham and Liverpool on Saturday 19th November; Nottingham, Manchester, and Milton Keynes on Sunday 20th November; Brighton on Saturday 26th November; and finally Greenwich London on Sunday 27th November.


-------------------------------------

Will I see you there?

Have you ever participated in Movember? My significant other grew a really creepy mustache a couple of years ago.

1: I may be slightly bastardizing 'Soul Sister' by Train here...


Post written by Scallywag and published on Scallywag Sprints on 30/10/16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Strava